“MALE REINDEER LOSE THEIR ANTLERS IN WINTER AND FEMALES DONT THEREFORE SANTA’S SLEIGH IS PULLED BY A TEAM OF STRONG, POWERFUL, UNDERRATED WOMEN!!!! YOU GO, GIRLS!! I SEE YOU!!!!” – Some energy to carry us right through 2020
Russia got a four-year ban. Russia was officially banned from four years of international competition on Monday for doping violations. However, similar to the 2018 Winter Games, athletes will be able to qualify to compete at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics under a neutral flag. For our purposes, that means probably nothing will change other than we won’t hear Russia’s anthem when Aliya inexplicably wins her third consecutive bars gold.
Get your nationals tickets. Tickets are available for 2020 U.S. nationals, but it initially looked like there was a $240 “USA Gymnastics Service Charge”. USA Gymnastics said in a statement, “the ticketing system is new and has a glitch” that caused the fee. They said that USAG does not charge service fees, that the issue will be resolved soon, and that everyone who already purchased tickets will get a refund for the fee. The arena said on Twitter that it’s their fault, not USAG’s.
Simone’s gonna have her own tour. Simone Biles is going to headline her very own post-Olympic tour of 35 cities in 2020 (!!!), independently from USAG. The tour will only feature women, and will include Katelyn Ohashi. Jonathan Horton isn’t happy that men will be “booted” from the post-Olympic tour, and many tweeters had words for him.
Speaking of putting your name on stuff, Kohei Uchimara is having his own cup in March! Here’s the roster.
- MG Elite coach Maggie Haney’s hearing will be held this week. Haney has been accused of verbally and emotionally abusing athletes.
- Andreea Raducan resigned from her role as president of the Romanian Federation, she announced Thursday. She cited the failure to qualify a team to the 2016 Olympics as a factor in her decision.
- A draft of the new Code of Points is out. Notable changes: A .2 bonus for a D+ dismount, which almost makes up for DismountGate. Also, you now don’t have to do a full turn, but can do a roll or flair instead; and since everyone loves a good reboot, lunges are back. There are also some potential value changes. Meanwhile, six named elements have been officially added.
- Carlos Yulo continued to dominate at the Southeast Asian Games last week, going home with five silvers and two golds. Speaking of Yulo, his Twitter account has been verified because someone posed as him. Also, Farah Ann Abdul Hadi took the uneven bars gold, as reported in this paper which refers to her as a “pretty lass” in the year of our Lord 2019.
- Opinion: In latest farce, International Olympic officials again favoring Russia over clean athletes (USA Today)
Retirements. Looks like Kristal Bodenschatz retired from gymnastics back in April and announced it in November, but I’m seeing it just now. Sorry y’all, and congrats to Kristal on opening her own fitness center!
Upgrades. Sunisa Lee’s Ezhova is looking amazing.
Comebacks (?) Looks like Shang Chunsong is training? Clear as mud.
Watch and learn. Laurie Hernandez’s pak is mesmerizing.
Now dig for your credit card. Sunisa Lee’s family is asking for help getting to the Tokyo Olympics after her father’s accident.
Because you asked…
Want to help out and qualify for super fun rewards for as little as $1/month? Check us out on Patreon!
Source: The Gymternet